Scratching an itch

This feels like it has been a long time in the making and probably should have been started many years ago but its better late than never. There are though two major reasons why now.

First, I made my second appearance on Lauren Laverne's morning show on 6 Music on 1 December last year in the Desert Island Disco segment. Talking about my love of music - in that case late 80s/early 90s dance music - was a brilliant experience and lit a fire in me that made me want to share that love on a regular basis.

Second, I was reminded earlier this month about the exhilaration and excitement that comes from discovering new music. New to me, but clearly not to others, I was introduced to a plethora of post-punk bands that I'd never previously even heard of , much less heard any of their music. The Chameleons, The Comsat Angels and The Sound were all bands that for various reasons burned twice as bright for half the time. Discovering them for myself was a magical experience, akin to the first time I heard Kraftwerk's Man Machine or Trans-Europe Express.

I wouldn't expect any and everyone to share my sense of excitement.- life would perhaps be boring if you did, and anyway, that's not really the point. The point is is that there is still great music out there for all of us to unearth for ourselves. New excitement to be felt and new musical journeys to take. If that isn't a reason to share a passion, I'm not sure what is.
So what you will find here I hope as the weeks go by are my musings on the music that still makes me want to get up in the morning. Much of it will span the era from when the cleansing fire of punk shook things up in the mid-70s, through the explosion of creativity that was post-punk and New Wave in the late 70s and early 80s and into the late 80s and into the 90s, where dance music moved from the underground to the mainstream - not always in ways that allowed it to retain its credibility. That said, it will probably include all points in between, and before and after because you can't write seriously about music without talking about Bowie, The Beatles et al.

Anyway, I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with what I've got to say, but as I said earlier, life would be pretty bloody boring if you did. I at least hope you'll drop by and see what I've got to say.


We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams".
Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Comments

Popular Posts